From: Matthew Marlowe <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 04:53:54
1 fyi, as someone who has played around quite a bit with most of the
2 ways to configure a home workstation, I find the best config currently
3 is:
4
5 Dedicated Fast Enterprise 2TB drive -> /, swap, and /boot (ext4)
6 Six 2TB Reliable SATA Drives in RAID10 -> /home (ext4 with appropriate
7 chunksize/etc)
8 Two 2TB Reliable SATA Drives in LVM VG -> /archive, other lvm volumes
9 I can afford to lose and may need to change sizes for.
10
11 No worrying about any bootup complications/initrd or seperate /usr or
12 /var on workstation, all the important personal data is on reliable
13 storage, lots of free space for big projects. Backups are on separate
14 disks from data.
15 Ext4 over RAID seem happier without lvm. Maybe a few years down the
16 road btrfs will be complete, I'll be able to switch to that.
17
18 Only complications of above is a) careful monitoring of boot disk, b)
19 with so many drives, chassis needs good air flow/power, and c) unless
20 /tmp or /var put on lvm, all gentoo compiles are limited by i/o of
21 boot disk (this isn't a problem for me now, but perhaps when I upgrade
22 to faster cpus with more cores..).
23