From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] LINGUAS issue
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:21:36
1 Hi, all.
2
3 My locale language is "pt_BR" (Brazilian Portuguese), and many applications
4 now support native translations.
5
6 And there is the "pt" possible LINGUAS entry, and there is no "pt_PT"
7 (Portugal spoken Portuguese), for instance, neither any derivatives for
8 other Portuguese speaking countries, which possibly have their own regional
9 differences.
10
11 There are a few applications that do not distinguish "pt_BR" from "pt" and
12 treat Portuguese language as simply "pt". An example is the OCR program
13 "tesseract", that builds language specifics according to the LINGUAS
14 environment variable.
15
16 Is there a way for specifying particular "LINGUAS" for individual
17 packages? I would not like to have to build dozens of applications to
18 include "pt" to my "LINGUAS" definition just to have "tesseract" to include
19 my native language support. I've found some old messages about this on the
20 net, but did not get any real solution.
21
22 Or should I ask the "tesseract" package maintainer to add "pt_BR" to the
23 available options?
24
25 Thanks a lot for your time,
26 Francisco