From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X.org V7.0 partial success
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:26:39
1 On 1/11/06, Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Yup, I figured that was the motivation---but X.org and XFree86 are still
3 > different projects with different code and all, so I was surprised that
4 > the name starts in xf86- and the description says X.org... Wouldn't
5 > xf86-something indicate a part of the XFree86 project?
6
7 I think it is important to note that these names were not invented by
8 the Gentoo devs working the ebuilds....they are straight from the
9 x.org project's distribution [1]. Also the x.org devs have not gone
10 through and simply renamed everything that was xfree86 to xorg, as a
11 simple browse through their CVS repository shows. Maybe they will at
12 some point....
13
14 As I understand it, the Gentoo devs are trying to stick as close as
15 possible to the x.org naming conventions.
16
17 -Richard
18
19 [1] http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide#head-d88d5d60fa745d610670b0b415649dd52807e4e6