From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any way to automate login to host and su to root?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 07:15:12
1 On Thursday, 14 July 2022 17:30:28 CEST Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 7/14/22 12:35 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > > I am looking for a way to login to a host and automatically change
8 > > to root using a password provided by an external program.
9 >
10 > Please clarify if you want to /require/ a password?
11
12 Yes.
13
14 > I can think of some options that would authenticate, thus avoiding
15 > sudo's NOPASSWD:, but not prompt for a password. I want to know if
16 > those types of options are on the table or if they should be discarded.
17
18 How would it not prompt for a password. I need something that will take the
19 password from the vault (I can do this in Python and shell-scripting. Probably
20 also in other scripts). Authenticating to the vault can be done on a session
21 basis and shared. So locally, I'd only login once.
22
23 > > The root passwords are stored in a vault and I can get passwords out
24 > > using a script after authenticating.
25 >
26 > Okay.
27 >
28 > > Currently, I need to do a lot of the steps manually:
29 > > ssh <user>@<host>
30 > > su -
31 >
32 > You could alter that slightly to be:
33 >
34 > ssh <user>@<host> su -
35 >
36 > That would combine the steps into one.
37 >
38 > > (copy/paste password from vault)
39 >
40 > Are you actually copying & pasting the password? Or will you be using
41 > something to retrieve the password from the vault and automatically
42 > provide it to su?
43
44 Currently, yes. I never physically see the password as it currently goes into
45 the clipboard and gets wiped from there after a short time period. Enough time
46 to paste it into the password-prompt. It's the copy/pasting that I am looking
47 to automate into a single "login-to-remote-host" script.
48
49 > I think that removing the human's need ~> ability to copy & paste would
50 > close some security exposures.
51 >
52 > Aside: This remove the human's ability to copy ~> know the password
53 > from the mix as a security measure can be a slippery slope and I
54 > consider it to be questionable at best. -- Conversely, doing it on
55 > behalf of the human with a password that they know simply as automation
56 > is fine.
57 >
58 > > I would like to change this to:
59 > > <some-script> <host>
60 >
61 > I think that's doable. I've done a lot of that. I'll take it one step
62 > further and put "<some-script> <host>" in a for loop to do my bidding on
63 > a number of systems.
64 >
65 > I think the "ssh <user>@<host> su -" method might be a bit cleaner from
66 > a STDIN / TTY / FD perspective.
67 >
68 > > Does anyone have any hints on how to achieve this without adding a
69 > > "NOPASSWD" entry into /etc/sudoers ?
70 >
71 > Flag on the play: You've now mixed privilege elevation mechanism. You
72 > originally talked about "su" and now you're talking about "sudo". They
73 > are distinctly different things. Though admittedly they can be used in
74 > concert with each other.
75 >
76 > If you are using SSH keys /and/ sudo, then I'd recommend that you
77 > investigate authenticating to sudo via (forwarded) SSH keys. This means
78 > that your interactions with sudo are /always/ authenticated *and* done
79 > so without requiring an interactive prompt.
80
81 I prefer not to use SSH keys for this as they tend to exist for years in my
82 experience. And one unnoticed leak can open up a lot of systems.
83 This is why I use passwords. (passwords are long random strings that are
84 changed regularly)
85
86 > > Thanks in advance,
87 >
88 > There's more than a little bit here. There are a number of ways that
89 > this could go.