From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 12:27:06
1 On 08/01/2013 02:11 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 > The 01/08/13, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't see the major difference between that and opening a bug and
5 >> attaching the patch. Only that bugzilla allow to manage the process,
6 >> not have leftovers, and future people can resume past discussions.
7 >
8 > The bugzilla thing is what makes the difference, IMHO. git-push and
9 > git-send-email are one shoot simple commands to get things done. Having
10 > to open the web browser, connect to bugzilla, attach the patch and
11 > comment online is too much busy.
12
13 You can use the command line too.
14
15 www-client/pybugz
18 >>> With Gentoo, you have to find a mentor, officially call for
19 >>> being a member, success the online tests, keep mentored some time. Not
20 >>> very light and efficient...
21 >>
22 >> Can you please suggest a different method to ensure quality?
23 >
24 > Yes, having a few maintainers team with write access to the whole
25 > portage tree and contributors sending patches to them or to official
26 > package maintainers making the first review before they do the merge and
27 > submit to the main maintainers. Something like the kernel with
28 > the main maintainers, the lieutenants and open contributors.
31 Git workflow has been on the todo list for a long time, as well as
32 review systems such as gerrit.
33
34 It is non trivial to implement and none of it is an excuse for not
35 contributing IMO ;)
36
37 Those are enhancements and we are already working on it. Get your hands
38 dirty.