From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] more CFLAG
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 00:21:36
1 On 16 May 2006 18:30:31 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Taking the opportunity of a major update to adjust CFLAGS in
3 > /etc/make.conf and I found something that looks like it might be a
4 > typo of mine.
5 >
6 > CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
7 >
8 > Does the `O' (uppercase oh) have an `s' component?
9 >
10 Yes - the -O setting is the level of code optimization that gcc does -
11 -Os is very similar to -O2, but also does code size optimization,
12 which may, under some circumstances, result in slower performance, but
13 will also, in other circumstances, result if faster performance. I
14 typically run my systems at -O2, unless I have a really small L2 cache
15 on the processor, in which case I will *generally* run -Os - or, if I
16 have storage media constraints, then I run -Os for the small amount of
17 storage savings that it gives you - not large enough to worry about in
18 a typical system, but when dealing with embedded systems, sometimes
19 every byte counts. :)
20
21 -James
24 > gcc man says the `O' is to set levels and I think this may be supposed
25 > to be a 2.
26 >
27 > --
28 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list