From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Profile 17 and -fPIC
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 03:08:29
1 On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 11:52:24AM +1100, Adam Carter wrote
2 >
3 > Is there a downside to adding -fPIC to CFLAGs? It seems to allow
4 > everything to build and the system is working.
5
6 It'll slow down some programs/libraries. I wonder if you also need to
7 enable "USE="pic"...
8
9 [d531][waltdnes][~] grep -i ":pic - d" /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
10 app-arch/gzip:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
11 dev-util/electron:pic - Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
12 games-emulation/yabause:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
13 games-fps/duke3d:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
14 media-libs/mesa:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
15 media-libs/x264:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
16 media-libs/x265:pic - Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
17 media-libs/xvid:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
18 media-video/transcode:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
19 www-client/chromium:pic - Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
20
21 ...and also...
22
23 [d531][waltdnes][~] grep -i ":pic - f" /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
24 app-benchmarks/ramspeed:pic - Force shared libraries to be built as PIC (this is slower)
25 app-emulation/open-vm-tools:pic - Force shared libraries to be built as PIC
26 gnome-base/orbit:pic - Force libname-server-2 to be built as PIC; needed on hardened systems
27 media-libs/libpostproc:pic - Force shared libraries to be built as PIC (this is slower).
28 media-video/ffmpeg:pic - Force shared libraries to be built as PIC (this is slower)
29 media-video/libav:pic - Force shared libraries to be built as PIC (this is slower).
30
31 --
32 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
33 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications