From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Movie editing softeware
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 16:25:44
1 On 2021-12-21, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > Oh - and as for using the command line, it's all very well until you
4 > try and figure out where to tell the command line to cut the video
5 > file - I really don't want to have to run the command line hundreds
6 > of times, checking the output every time, and throwing away the ones
7 > that cut in the wrong place.
8
9 You don't need to figure out the edit points by trail-and-error using
10 the command line. There are plenty of bullet-proof video players that
11 will allow you to easily identify the exact point in a stream.
12
13 > Oh, and if I use some video editing software to find the exact
14 > millisecond I want to cut, it STILL cuts it in completely the wrong
15 > place ...
16
17 If you're trying to do cuts with a muxer (without re-encoding), you
18 can only cut at certain pre-defined points in the stream, and the
19 software will have to pick one of the points either side of the
20 position you specified.
21
22 If you want to cut at exact frames, you'll have to re-encode.