From: Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mod4 mapped to wrong keycode
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 08:23:17
1 On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:53:55 -0700 Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On 8/12/06, Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
4 > > I found out that Win key (Mod4) is not seen as modifier because it is
5 > > mapped to wrong keycode:
6 >
7 > I think you are on the wrong track. I have basically the same results
8 > on my system (laptop, so no right-side win-key):
9 >
10 > ~ > xmodmap | grep mod4
11 > mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)
12 [...]
13 > And win-tab works fine for me with KDE.
14 [...]
15 > That said, I have no good idea why you are having a problem. Are you
16 > getting the KeyRelease events?
17
18 Yes, KeyRelease events are ok. What leads me to this assumption is
19 that, when I remove Alt (Mod1) from modifier list, the Alt+TAB
20 switching behave same as Win+TAB (wrongly). And - when I remove&add
21 mod4 using command:
22
23 xmodmap -e "clear mod4" -e "add mod4 = Super_L"
24
25 switching with Win+TAB works correctly. After this command the keycode
26 0x73 is included in mapping:
27
28 $ xmodmap | grep mod4
29 mod4 Super_L (0x73), Super_L (0x7f)
30
31 But this is not "system solution". I would rather solve it system
32 wide, perhaps with correct setting of xkb (in xorg.conf
33 probably). After more digging in /usr/share/X11/xkb I found file
34 symbols/altwin where is defined:
35
36 xkb_symbols "super_win" {
37 key <LWIN> { [ Super_L ] };
38 key <RWIN> { [ Super_R ] };
39 modifier_map Mod4 { Super_L, Super_R };
40 };
41
42 This looks good but I have trouble to activate it. I mostly end up
43 with "dead" keyboard. I'm trying something like this:
44
45 setxkbmap -layout us -symbols pc+us+altwin -variant super_win
46
47 Does anybody know how to activate this "super_win" setting?
48
49 Robert
53 Robert Cernansky
54 E-mail: hslists2@××××××.sk