From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Gentoo from a Debian?
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:27:22
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 13:49 on Wednesday 15 September 2010, Al did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > 2010/9/15 alex@××××××××××××.de <alex@××××××××××××.de>:
5 > > Hi guys,
6 > >
7 > > I want to try install gentoo, but there no blanks or usb, but there i
8 > > got a debian(amd64). Can i use this to install gentoo without a doubt?
9 > >
10 > > greetings
11 >
12 > Hello Alex,
13 >
14 > I installed it from Ubuntu which is similar to Debian. While doing
15 > that I did rework the german Wiki page not long ago.
16 >
17 > http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Installation_von_Gentoo_Linux
18 >
19 > It was helpfull for me. Now it should be even more up-to-date.
20 >
21 > Al
24 You can even do it from Windows if you feel that way inclined.
25
26 All an installer does is write a bunch of files to known names on a disk. It
27 does absolutely nothing else. All you'd need Windows to do is:
28
29 have a driver for the filesystem you want Gentoo to run on
30 make valid partitions and filesystems, then write to them
31 run portage correctly
32
33 This is all the installer ever does.
34 it's also what wubi does.