From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] install under centos606
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 03:18:14
1 On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Ralph Seichter
2 <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > On 21.08.2017 13:49, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm excited about using gentoo, though the online instructions could
6 >> really use more structuring, i.e. it's hard to avoid reading the parts
7 >> you don't need to and the "flow" is rather lost. It's an extremely
8 >> verbose document which makes it very hard to get the gist of the install
9 >> procedure. it's not a bad document, merely poorly organized. [...]
10 >
11 > I completely disagree. I consider the Gentoo installation documentation
12 > well structured, easy to follow and precise, and I don't know what your
13 > statements like "most newbies would be helplessly confused" are supposed
14 > to be based on. Please don't try to pass on your personal opinions as
15 > facts without providing any proof. Show us a control group of newbies,
16 > most of them helplessly confused, if you can. ;-)
19 I think most of the problem is all the handbook does is give you a
20 working system in the technical sense. Everything else is up to you to
21 discover, which can be very hard if you are lacking terminology or
22 very specific experience.
23
24 A good example of a more fully featured guide is Sakaki's EFI
25 Installation Guide
26 (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide). I have
27 proposed the handbook be updated, at least on an architecture-specific
28 basis, to reflect common installation options (as was it seems was
29 originally intended). However, the Handbook team seems very
30 conservative and hard to contact.
31
32 Among my suggestions were transferring the Handbook to Gollum, so the
33 pages could be managed from Git. Porting the whole Wiki to Gollum
34 might make it hard for normal users to contribute, but I suspect only
35 particularly adept users would have good contributions to the
36 Handbook.
37
38 R0b0t1.