From: Ian K <omega_2_1@×××××.ca>
To: mail list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] My laptop is freaking me out.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:51:20
1 Hi there.
2 My new laptop (Toshiba A70) is seriously weirding me out.
3 It seems to be turning off (randomly?) while in KDE. I cannot
4 distinguish any patterns uptime-wise, nor is it an actual power
5 failure. (Nothing else dies, battery prescence is confirmed with
6 hardware lighting, and this lighting indicates a full charge.
7 I also see no real connections between what I am doing when
8 the computer turns off. Once, I was browsing the web in Firefox,
9 and tonight, I was playing around with the XScreensaver settings.
10 I have noticed, that it seems to only happen while in KDE, although
11 Im not 100% sure. Also, I have the KDE laptop battery monitor set
12 to do *nothing* if the battery should reach a warning or critical
13 power value. This has happened to be about 6 times over the last
14 few days. I also just got KDE emerged, so I can say its been happening
15 probably since it has been up. I have left it on for extended amounts
16 of time in the regular CLI though, without any problems.
17 I can't really think of anything else to say, but I should mention that
18 it **seems** to do a safe shutdown, but Im not sure. The power is
19 cut rather instantly, and I am not swished off into a system reboot
20 message. When I start it up again, ReiserFS claims the file system is
21 clean, and goes on to replay the journal as usual. Do any of
22 you have any thoughts on this? Thanks a lot!
23 Ian

omega_2_1.vcf text/x-vcard