From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Will ZFS clobber my MBR?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:01:41
1 Hello,
2
3 My / (root) lives on /dev/sdb1. My /dev/sda has no partitions and no data
4 except for what I presume is the mbr written by lilo. [history: sdb is an
5 SSD and I never wanted to use the slow sda]
6
7 I have been playing with ZFS on a USB drive and I am ready to create a
8 zpool on /dev/sda.
9
10 ZFS recommends that I give it the entire drive (partitioning discouraged).
11 In this case I hesitate to give ZFS my entire drive as I worry ZFS will
12 clobber my MBR rendering my system unbootable.
13
14 Are my fears warranted? If so, what should I do about it? If you
15 recommend that I partition sda, what parameters do I used to avoid a
16 clobber?
17
18 Thank you,
19