From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange problem (no video output) on new PC
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 23:08:54
1 On Thursday, 11 July 2019 23:31:51 BST Jack wrote:
2 > I'm hoping the cumulative wisdom of the assembled masses might be able
3 > to figure out what I'm clearly missing, assuming there IS something I'm
4 > missing.
5 >
6 > I've recently assembled a new PC, with an MSI B350-Tomahawk motherboard
7 > and a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU. (We'll skip that I ended up actually buying an
8 > older Ryzen just to upgrade the BIOS.) The problem is that I have now
9 > tried three different PCI-E graphics cards, and have gotten no video
10 > signal from any of them. I do get a video signal from an ancient PCI
11 > graphics card. One of the cards is a very old Radeon, one is a
12 > slightly less old nVidia, and the newest is (from lspci) "Advanced
13 > Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7
14 > 250X]."
15 >
16 > What I find particularly odd is that if I log in blind, and then issue
17 > startx, X (startkde) seems to be running fine. I ssh in from another
18 > PC, and the X log shows the Radeon driver loading, the monitor being
19 > recognized on the appropriate connector, the EDID received, and the
20 > right resolution being chosen. (Even without all the AMD drivers and
21 > firmware loaded, at least it also seemed to start with the VESA driver,
22 > but still no output signal.)
23 >
24 > I can easily believe the old radeon card is dead, and possibly even the
25 > nVidia card. However, given what I see in the logs with the new radeon
26 > card, I find it hard to believe the card is actually defective. (Just
27 > purchased used on eBay, so I do have to admit the possibilty.)
28 > However, I have trouble imagining what else could be the problem. I've
29 > tried two different cables (both of which work fine for the PCI card)
30 > but both use DVI to VGA adaptors, although I can't imagine why that
31 > would matter now, if they worked for a different card. I have ordered
32 > a new DVI cable to go directly from the card to the monitor, so
33 > hopefully I'll get that and be able to test it within a few days.
34 >
35 > Can anyone else thing of what the problem might be, and if there is any
36 > troubleshooting I could try?
37 >
38 > Jack
39
40 Brief response for now:
41
42 If dmesg after you login remotely shows the graphics card firmware is
43 available in the kernel, radeon/nvidia drivers are loading and no errors are
44 printed, then hardware wise your PC ought to be OK.
45
46 If /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows no errors with drivers and monitor, then I don't
47 know what to suggest other than following a process of elimination, by trying:
48
49 - different cables
50 - different monitor
51
52 However, if cables or monitor were at fault I would expect warnings to show up
53 in the log files.
54 --
55 Regards,
56