From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition of 3TB USB drive not detected
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 16:27:51
1 On 07/31/2016 08:37 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > for my backups I use a 3TB USB drive (one big ext4 partition) without any
5 > problems. Just plug in the cable, mount it and perform the backup. The
6 > partition (sdi1) is detected an mountable without any problems:
7
8 this tells you the device is valid and working. good.
9 >
10 > However, when I boot a rescue system from a USB stick, the partition on the
11 > USB is not detected. I already tried latest SystemRescueCD (default and
12 > alternate kernel), Knoppix and the Gentoo Admin CD. Nothing, the partition
13 > is not available.
14
15 So there could be a multitude of reasons. Did thos systems have a bios
16 that support booting from a usb device? Are the bios setting set to
17 select the bios device correct?
18
19 I recently read somewhere the usb devices only support (2) types of
20 image booting, but I cannot find that doc right now. rodsbooks is
21 an excellent resource for all the issues around booting and device
22 and various hardware/firmware issues. LikeWhoa has made booting the usb
23 for gentoo, commonplace so search out those postings on the gentoo
24 forums and in the wiki.
27 > What's the difference? Why does my kernel find this partition and the other
28 > one's do not? It's pretty silly to have a backup drive and cannot access it
29 > in question ;-)
30
31 It could be many things. You just have to ferret thru ideas until
32 something works for your hardware, and it is a frustrating process.
33
34 make sure the image you are trying to boot is on a compatible partition
35 and file system that is supported by the boot image.
38 hth,
39 James