From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:20:25
1 On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Now to teach him how to update the thing.
5 >
6 > Dale
7 >
8 > :-)  :-)
12 I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I had one weekend running
13 Ubuntu and ended up running away as fast as I could. It wasn't that it
14 was bad or didn't work, but that the management of it seemed so
15 different from any distro I'd run before that I didn't want to deal
16 with learning it. Let's see how that does for you.
17
18 Again, remembering I didn't really give it much of a chance - I was
19 running on a Power PC Mac Mini - two things that drove me mad were:
20
21 1) The basic install didn't tell me what the root password was.
22
23 2) All the management was done using sudo.
24
25 I couldn't get past the idea that if something went wrong that with no
26 root password what was I supposed to do? Now, I was absolutely sure at
27 the time there had to be a way to set that myself, maybe as simple as
28 sudo passwd - root or something like that, but I decided it just
29 wasn't for me and tossed the machine in the garage rather than deal
30 with it! :-)
31
32 Cheers,
33 Mark