From: Norman Invasion <invasivenorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 16:30:47
1 On 9 May 2012 04:47, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
5 > videos on, eventually.  The prices are coming down now.  I keep seeing
6 > these "green" drives that are made by just about every company nowadays.
7 >  When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up as good?
8 > Are they as dependable as a plain drive?  I guess they are more
9 > efficient and I get that but do they break quicker, more often or no
10 > difference?
11 >
12 > I have noticed that they tend to spin slower and are cheaper.  That much
13 > I have figured out.  Other than that, I can't see any other difference.
14 >  Data speeds seem to be about the same.
17 They have an ugly tendency to nod off at 6 second intervals.
18 This runs up "193 Load_Cycle_Count" unacceptably: as many
19 as a few hundred thousand in a year & a million cycles is
20 getting close to the lifetime limit on most hard drives. I end
21 up running some iteration of
22 # hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
23 every boot.