From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:57:58
1 Mark,
2
3 On Thu, August 23, 2012 6:05 am, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > From Kindle so short...
5 >
6 > Paul. Thanks. I'll double check tomorrow but the specs online said the
7 > slots were pci express 2.0. The card is a one lane card but the box
8 > says it can do 533M/S but boxes do lie sometimes.
9
10 The "2.0" part is the version. Not the speed.
11 For PCI-e it's usually denoted as 1x, 4x, 8x and 16x.
12 The numbers specify the amount of PCI-express lanes used for the port.
13
14 More lanes = more bandwidth.
15 As others have already pointed out, it's a single-lane card. Which means
16 you can only get the max for a single PCI-express lane.
17
18 On a side-note, does anyone know of a way to merge multiple PCI-expres 1x
19 ports together without having to completely rewire the mainboard and
20 "patch" the BIOS?
21 My skillset, unfortunately, doesn't include that...
25 Joost