From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No kernel boot after inserting more ram
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:05:58
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, José Pedro Saraiva wrote:
2 > Hi all, wise gentoo users!
3 > I've recently bought an extra GB of RAM for my laptop. After inserting it,
4 > kernel refuses to boot, it hangs at "Booting the kernel"
5 > I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the RAM, so it must be some other
6 > issue, perhaps related with my boot options?
7
8 Well, if you haven't changed anything else other than the RAM module since the
9 last time you booted the machine, then the problem would not be with your
10 Grub configuration . . . If you have, then revert the change.
11
12 > Any help or ideas are welcome :)
13
14 Boot a LiveCD and run memtest86. Sometimes even new memory modules are duff.
15
16 > Here's an extract of my grub.conf:
17 >
18 > title Gentoo 2.6.22-r8
19 > root (hd0,1)
20 > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r8 root=/dev/sda5
21 > splash=verbose,fadein,theme:emergence fbcon=scrollback:128K
22 > console=/dev/tty1 combined_mode=libata
23 > initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768
24
25 HTH.
26 --
27 Regards,