From: madscientistatlarge <madscientistatlarge@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /proc/meminfo vs lshw -c memory
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 01:14:28
1 If the bios sees it, an lshw sees it it's not the ram, I seriously doubt new ram would help. I've seen a failing power supply make ram look flaky before, possibly the drive activity during booting is loading down the power supply enough to confuse your' system. In any case, you should run memtest, boot into it (obviously try to install if necessary). Also, how dusty is your' cpu? A hot cpu can do truly crazy things, like cause an install to fail at exactly the same point 3 times in a row, seen it. Also, don't desperately reseat the ram anymore, it's not the problem and those connectors don't last for ever, a few dozen times can wear them out though it should be closer to 50-100 minimum. In any case, It's very unlikely to be the ram, the bios is seeing it, lshw is seeing it, for some reason the os isn't. What command/program is telling you there is only 8G? Is it system monitor, about this computer or what?
2
3 Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.
4
5 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐