From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emacs vs. gnome and xorg-1.5.3
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 11:42:27
1 On Wed, 06 May 2009 07:29:51 +0200
2 Robert Cernansky wrote:
3
4 ...[snip]...
5
6 > Back to 8x13... I must admit now it's a mystery for me why X does
7 > not find 8x13 while it finds 6x13. Try following:
8 >
9 > 1. Do 'equery belongs /usr/share/fonts/misc'
10 > This gives you list of all packages that have some files in misc
11 > directory. 2. Stop X.
12 > 3. Unmerge all packages listed in 1.
13 > 4. Remove all remaining files in misc directory (or move them
14 > somewhere else).
15 > 5. Emerge packages unmerged in 3. (or you can try emerge just
16 > font-misc-misc.
17
18 Hello Robert,
19
20 Likely font-misc-misc was removed by "emerge --depclean" a while back
21 and nothing went wrong until my workstation was restarted due to a
22 power outage.
23
24 Yesterday morning I had installed font-misc-misc and added FontPath
25 directives to xorg.conf. Yesterday evening I restarted X without any
26 emacs behavior changes.
27
28 This morning, as you suggested, I unmerged font-misc-misc and
29 font-alias, emerged them, and restarted X. Now emacs is happy.
30
31 As an experiment, I removed FontPath info from xorg.conf and the emacs
32 font problem came back. Evidently my impression that xorg.conf no
33 longer needed to have font information was wrong :-<
34
35 Thanks for your continued assistance. It's much appreciated.
36
37 Regards,
38
39 David