From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Calendar applications
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 05:12:04
1 On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:06:51AM -0800, walt wrote:
2 > On 12/31/2010 08:35 AM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 03:55:29AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> On 30/12/2010, at 11:22pm, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
6 > >>> ...
7 > >>> I'm looking for a lightweight calendar application that can do the following things:
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Event handling (preferrably also a support for recurring events)
10 > >>> Notification of events
11 > >>> Handle several calendars at once (as in showing all calendars in one view and preferrably colour coded)
12 > >>> Import of other calendars (iCal)
13 > >>>
14 > >>> I've been looking for an application that matches this but I can't seem to find any.
15 > >>
16 > >> Hi there,
17 > >>
18 > >> I'm not being argumentative here, just curious: in what way doesn't Sunbird meet these requirements?
19 > >>
20 > >> I'm more interested in calendaring servers (and unfortunately the choice of those is pretty dire) and using Apple iCal on MacOS as a front-end, but those sound like really basic requirements, and I'm surprised that any calendar doesn't meet them. iCal certainly meets them all (even with basic local storage), although I appreciate that's not much help to you.
21 > >>
22 > >
23 > > Primarily because I tend to steer away from Mozilla products if I can (they just don't seem to feel right, somehow. (I know, great argument)). I absolutely wouldn't mind setting up a server and using some frontend, the question is just which front end. And when I set out to find calendar I really thought they were very basic requirements. My google-fu told me I was wrong.
24 > > But yeah, Sunbird meets the requirements, I'd just prefer to go down another road (if there is one).
25 >
26 > Have you tried Evolution? It's intended to be an open-source replacement for M$ Outlook.
27 > It's a lot more than just a calendar client, though, so it's not lightweight..
28 >
29 I was considering it, but the problem with evolution is that it does far more than I need it to. If I could strip away everything but the calendar I'd definately go for it.
32 Best Regards
33
34 Zeerak Waseem