From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mark <whitetr6@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] before I upgrade the kernel
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:37:51
1 On Tuesday 11 October 2005 10:18 pm, Mark wrote:
2 > Is there a way I can apply all of the options I set last time I ran make
3 > menuconfig to the new kernel I just downloaded, or do I have to go through
4 > all the settings again?
5
6 1. cd /usr/src
7 2. tar xjf /path/to/downloaded/kernel.tar.bz2
8 3. cd linux-new-kernel
9 4. make mrproper
10 5. cp ../path.to.old.kernel/.config ./.config
11 6. make oldconfig
12
13 7. make && make modules_install && cp .config /boot/config-new-version && cp
14 System.map /boot/System.map-new-version && cp
15 arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-new-version && /bin/rm -f /usr/src/linux
16 && ln -s /usr/src/linux-new-kernel /usr/src/linux && vi /boot/grub/menu.lst
17
18 A little terse, but yes. make oldconfig pulls in your existing .config file.
19 It will prompt for new offerings not part of your old .config, usually the
20 suggested default at the prompt is the way to go.
21
22 When managing your own kernel, don't forget to a) install the modules (plus
23 any other third party modules (i.e. nvidia driver modules) or your new kernel
24 will give you grief, and b) recreate your /usr/src/linux symlink to point at
25 the new kernel.
26
27 Those steps above are the ones that I typically take (yes, folks will say to
28 use "make install", but I'm still from the old school.
29
30 The only part of the rote script above that I'm unsure about is the System.map
31 stuff. I know it gets generated when the kernel is built, I know most
32 systems have them in /boot, but for the life of me I never a) found out what
33 it was for, b) found out if it had to be in /boot and if it had to be a
34 special name (i.e. /boot/System.map explicitly), and c) why I even bother in
35 the first place.
36
37 Dave
38 --