From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About --depclean
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:25:36
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:01:14 -0300, Rafael Barreto wrote:
2
3 > Ok. I think I undestood. But, why do I need to use "revdep-rebuild"
4 > after "emerge --depclean"? I mean, "emerge --depclean" should unmerge
5 > just that dependences not necessary anymore by other packages. So, I
6 > suppose I don't need to rebuild nothing because I just unmerge
7 > dependences unused. i.e. if I don't have any packages dependents of
8 > that dependences unmerged with "emerge --depclean", there's no dynamic
9 > link to update. Am I right? Do you undestand what I say?
10
11 You are right, you should not need to run revdep-rebuild after a
12 depclean. As long as you check the output of depclean -p before actually
13 removing any packages, you should be OK. Running revdep-rebuild is
14 usually a precaution, based on depclean's previously unreliable
15 behaviour. I've found it to be quite solid nowadays, as long as you
16 follow the recommendation to do emerge -uavDN world before running it.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Bookmark - A means of returning to where you got lost last time.