From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CUPS problem
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 07:43:23
1 CUPS has been working flawlessly for quite some time, one of the feats
2 of newer GNU/Linux installs (to one who couldn't get an HP mainstream
3 inkjet working right some 10 years ago). Simultaneously, I notices
4 that Apple now owns the copyright, and after a recent upgrade, stopped
5 working.
6
7 I have to blame myself, because running cfg-update, the changes to
8 /etc/cups/cupsd.conf were considerable, involving three, and not two
9 files to be merged. The interface of xxdiff is not intuitive, to me:
10 I've blundered through it's kludgey structure for a while, but this
11 time I was genuinely confused. Furthermore, I made the mistake of
12 taking a stab in the dark.
13
14 So I uninstalled CUPS completely, and reinstalled. Then installed the
15 printer again. It is doing the same thing: the interface at
16 localhost:631 says that the printer is ready to print. Any job sent
17 to the queue, including test prints, are immediately "stopped".
18 Reprint a job, and it is immediately stopped.
19
20 Hypotheses:
21 New ASUS M2N-E Motherboard (was working before upgrading CUPS)
22 Configuration file issues. (I have deleted the entire directory
23 /etc/cups, and the new derault file was replaced with a simplified one
24 scavenged of a mailing list, but with no improvement.
25 Unknown factors (where to start?)
26
27 So I am turning to the mailing list for suggestions.
28
29 Any ideas?
30
31 Thank you,
32
33 Alan Davis
36 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com
37
38 "It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
39 ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list