From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: Warp_7@×××.de
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compiles take much longer than in the past
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:59:24
1 On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 15:53:44 +0100
2 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > I'm observing on this olde Centrino laptop that emerges take much,
5 > much longer for certain packages than they did in the past.
6
7 There are a lot more factors that could come into play here; degrading
8 hardware, worse kernel, fragmentation and usage of a disk, newer
9 compiler, newer libraries used by the compiler and build tools, the
10 list can go on for a while ...
11
12 I ... eh ... have no clue where to get started; so, I suggest you try
13 to improve performance (using simply tips & tricks or so) as well as
14 try to bisect whether an older version of something improves the
15 situation to maybe find the cause. Other than that, word of warning,
16 you might end up spending more time than the compiles cost you, so,
17 maybe a reinstall after all is a good idea to start fresh?
18
19 If it still is broken after a clean reinstall ... it is hardware.
22 With kind regards,
23
24 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
25 Gentoo Developer
26
27 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
28 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
29 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D