From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Normal disk speed?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 04:42:14
1 On Friday 01 October 2010, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > > Your harddisk seeks, everything is slow.
3 > >
4 > > So does that then mean that my options are;
5 >
6 > 1. Defragment, so there is less seeking
7 > 2. Get an SSD
8 >
9 > Since 2 is too expensive for a decent size drive, is there anything i can
10 > do about 1 without a backup and restore operation? Or will the
11 > fragmentation be very small on reiser3 anyway (i mount with notail) so I
12 > should just accept things as they are.
13
14 every fs fragments over the course of time. Some more, some less. So as long
15 as you have harddisks:
16 get used to the seeking penalty.