From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mp3/ogg editing
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:18:11
1 Hi Fred,
2
3 no problem...I am also no native english speaker...so, well,
4 may be it is my english not yours what screws up things a little... :)
5
6 MP3/OGG are audio codecs, which are lossy. Means: If you encode a
7 wav-file to mp3, than decode this one again back to wav there is
8 some sound loss.
9
10 Audacity is -- as far as I understood -- only able to edit wav files.
11 Therefore it has to decode the mp3 to wav before editing.
12 If one wants a mp3 again from this wav file, the above has to be
13 aplied and you will loose sound quality.
14
15 There are ways to edit/cut/append mp3 files directly whitout
16 deocding them (dont ask me for details here) therefore these
17 editors, which are specialized in mp3/ogg editing, are able
18 to edit/cut/apped mp3 files as often as you wish without loosing
19 sound quality.
20
21 Audacity is one to edit wav files directly but not mp3/ogg files --
22 as far as I know....
23
24 HTH
25
26 Keep hacking! :)
27 mcc
28
29 Fred Elno <raptor@××××××××.fr> [08-11-29 17:11]:
30 >
31 > > Hello,
34 > > I tought this one decodes before editing ???
38 > This is what I found in audacity homepage:
39 >
40 > "Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft
41 > Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems."
42 >
43 > So I think he is able to edit sounds, you just open your file, then apply some audio filter on it, cut a part of it
44 > tweak volume etc...
45 >
46 > But perhaps I have not well understood your question (my english is not so good ), and maybe I put you in a wrong way.
49 > > Fred Elno <raptor@××××××××.fr> [08-11-29 16:21]:
50 > >> Hello,
51 > >>
52 > >> I did you try Audacity?
53 > >>
54 > >> >
55 > >> > Hi,
56 > >> >
57 > >> > I am looking for a ogg/mp3 editing softwarei (gui), which is able to
58 > >> > cut/append such streams without loss due to reencoding.
59 > >> >
60 > >> > What software is worth trying ?
61 > >> >
62 > >> > Thank you very much for your help in advance!
63 > >> >
64 > >> > Kind regards,
65 > >> > mcc
66 > >> >
67 > >> >
68 > >> > --
69 > >> > Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
70 > >> > unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
71 > >> > See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
72 > >> > In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.
73 > >> >
74 > >> >
75 > >>
76 > >>
77 > >> http://www.drakonix.fr
78 > >>
79 > >>
80 > >
81 > > --
82 > > Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
83 > > unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
84 > > See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
85 > > In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.
90 > http://www.drakonix.fr
95 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
96 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
97 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
98 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.