From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple Linux Router on a live CD?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:04:07
1 On Wednesday 21 February 2007, Mikie wrote:
2 > Actually I did Google extensively and looked at three packages which
3 > would require too much time to implement.
4 >
5 > The Vyatta was working in 10 min and now my lab's three Gentoo boxes
6 > are routed.
7
8 And this entire bullshit thread would have been prevented had you done
9 the normal thing on mailing lists:
10
11 SUPPLY ALL REQUIRED AND RELEVANT INFORMATION.
12
13 Here's what you said:
14
15 "Anyone out there know where I could DL an iso file with a simple route
16 only linux?
17
18 "I just need routing and no other features.
19
20 "Thanks"
23 Here's an example of what you should have said:
24
25 Hi all,
26
27 I need a small simple distro to use for a router. It must run on a tiny
28 machine <insert hardware, RAM and disk specs here>, I don't need
29 iptables and conntrack functionality so ram is not a major issue. It
30 will route for three hosts and I'll need it to scale to 6 easily.
31
32 Google found me products A, B and C, and all seem OK but none strike me
33 as being perfectly suited <insert short reasons as to why here>.
34
35 Anyone here used these distros and can give comment? Or maybe recommend
36 something I haven't listed already?
37
38 thanks,
39
40 <your name>
41
42 See the difference? I can give you a real answer to the example, but
43 can't really respond positively to the original (and it has nothing to
44 do with grammar or language)
47 alan
48
49 p.s. this was not a flame
53 Optimists say the glass is half full,
54 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
55 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
56
57 Alan McKinnon
58 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
59 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
60 --
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list