From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive pricing and the near future
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 19:50:45
1 On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 3:37 PM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I think what to look for there would be if there's a way to align the BTRFS chunks to the SMR blocks.
3
4 There are definitely ways to implement filesystems that are more
5 compatible with SMR. You basically want something like a log-based
6 filesystem. A COW filesystem is actually a really good candidate as
7 they don't do in-place writes ever, and all you need to do is defer
8 block frees and garbage collect and so on to make it more log-based.
9
10 One of the issues though is that these drives obfuscate how they work.
11 The filesystem has no way to intentionally write to the CMR vs SMR
12 regions.
13
14 This is why drive-managed SMR really shouldn't be a thing.
15 Host-managed SMR makes a LOT more sense, because then the filesystem
16 can mitigate most of the issues and not end up fighting the drive
17 firmware, whose behavior isn't even standardized.
18
19 > But the manufacturers decided to continue manufacturing CBR disks for the surveillance industry, so I haven't had to worry about it just yet.
20
21 There are lots of CMR drives out there. It is just that you have to
22 be careful as nothing is well-documented and it is all subject to
23 change. It is like trying to figure out how many channels a DIMM has
24 or what its timing capabilities are.
25
26 I saw a good price on an Exos drive and I believe those are all CMR.
27 This is why I use slickdeals - you can set up searches and get alerts
28 when a price drops. It also picks up stuff like Best Buy who often
29 has some of the best prices on USB enclosures for whatever reason when
30 they go on sale.
33 Rich