From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert rpm to ebuild
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:49:05
1 quoth the Florian Philipp:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I thought this question would be quiet common but I've been unable to get
5 > an answer googling and looking through howtos. Actually there are some
6 > links in an old thread on forums.gentoo.org but its target seems to have
7 > moved.
8 >
9 > Anyway, how do I install packages in .rpm or .deb without messing up
10 > portage? Is there something like "alien"?
11 >
12 > Thanks in advance
13 > Florian Philipp
14
15 Well, you can install RPM...
16
17 # emerge -p rpm
18
19 You could then, presumably, install the RPM, though I have not ever tried
20 this:
21 # rpm -i foopackage.i386.rpm
22
23 Use AYOR (at your own risk...), as I have no idea what repercussions this may
24 have. Does RPM have a --pretend option?
25
26 I have used `ebuild`s 'rpm' target to make RPMs of software with ebuilds which
27 is essentially the opposite of what you want. Works good.
28
29 -d
30 --
31 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
32 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
33 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list