From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 21:57:34
1 ... desperately needed.
2
3 The setup:
4 -- a microphone connected to an audio interface, which connects to an
5 USB port in the computer. The interface works like a USB sound card,
6 at least regarding sound capture. It works: I can record my voice with
7 arecord into a wav file, and then play the file with aplay.
8 -- a (motherboard) sound card with a toslink output connected to an
9 external DAC/amplifier. It works: playing wav, youtube, etc.
10
11 The problem:
12 I need to use it for voice chat. I tried slack and discord (the latter
13 both via browser and app--there's a package in portage--, the former
14 only via browser). No sound, neither outbound nor inbound.
15 None of these programs provides a way to tell them which devices to
16 use, so I assume they just go for some default.
17 I don't have a .asoundrc file. Contents of /etc/alsa/conf.d/ are not
18 customized.
19 Maybe some ALSA wiz that happens to be familiar with discord can
20 suggest something?
21
22 Thanks
23
24 Jorge Almeida
25
26 $ cat /proc/asound/devices
27 1: : sequencer
28 2: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
29 3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
30 4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
31 5: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
32 6: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
33 7: [ 0] : control
34 8: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
35 9: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
36 10: [ 1] : control
37 33: : timer
38
39 $ arecord -L
40 null
41 Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
42 sysdefault:CARD=PCH
43 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
44 Default Audio Device
45 front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
46 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
47 Front speakers
48 usbstream:CARD=PCH
49 HDA Intel PCH
50 USB Stream Output
51 sysdefault:CARD=CODEC
52 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
53 Default Audio Device
54 front:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
55 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
56 Front speakers
57 surround21:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
58 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
59 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
60 surround40:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
61 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
62 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
63 surround41:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
64 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
65 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
66 surround50:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
67 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
68 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
69 surround51:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
70 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
71 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
72 surround71:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
73 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
74 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
75 iec958:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0
76 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
77 IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
78 usbstream:CARD=CODEC
79 USB Audio CODEC
80 USB Stream Output
81
82 $ aplay -L
83 null
84 Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
85 sysdefault:CARD=PCH
86 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
87 Default Audio Device
88 front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
89 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
90 Front speakers
91 surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
92 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
93 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
94 surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
95 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
96 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
97 surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
98 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
99 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
100 surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
101 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
102 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
103 surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
104 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
105 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
106 surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
107 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Analog
108 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
109 iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
110 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Digital
111 IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
112 hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
113 HDA Intel PCH, Generic Digital
114 HDMI Audio Output
115 usbstream:CARD=PCH
116 HDA Intel PCH
117 USB Stream Output
118 sysdefault:CARD=CODEC
119 USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio
120
121 I know iec958:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0 is the appropriate device for capture
122 and that iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 is the appropriate device for playback,
123 because it's what works with -D.