From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rationalizing log files
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 13:20:32
1 On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 12:58 AM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 <SNIP>
4 > # no packages own wtmp and btmp -- we'll rotate them here.
5 > /var/log/wtmp {
6 > monthly
7 > create 0664 root utmp
8 > minsize 1M
9 > rotate 1
10 > }
11 > /var/log/btmp {
12 > missingok
13 > monthly
14 > create 0600 root utmp
15 > rotate 1
16 > }
17 <SNIP>
18
19 As you reported 'roughly monthly' failures my guess would be the above two
20 sections
21
22 > And maybe either stop logging Facebook, or else log iptables messages
23 > to a separate file (how is that done?). The Facebook tracker messages
24 > are generated by iptables rules...
25
26 Don't log what you're not interested in. If your disk is getting filled up
27 with billions of Facebook issues then limit how much of that you track.
28
29 HTH,
30 Mark