From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] locale nightmare
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:21:42
After much labor, I managed to clean my system (i.e., revdep-rebuild -p
is happy). However, I started having locale problems (which I hadn't
formerly). It shows up with perl and vim.
I want the system to recognize Portuguese accented characters but
otherwise to use English as general language (meaning the language used
in error messages in bash, etc).
I didn't have the file /etc/env.d/02locale (can't imagine why).
 	$ cat /etc/env.d/02locale
 	LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
 	LC_TYPE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
 	LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.UTF-8@euro"
I followed (more or less)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_UTF-8_enabled_system
(It says
 	LC_ALL=it_IT.UTF-8
 	LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8@euro
but isn't this wrong? man locale says LC_ALL overrides LC_*, if I
understood correctly.)
Well, perl is not happy:
$ perl -e ""
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
         LANGUAGE = (unset),
 	LC_ALL = (unset),
 	LC_MONETARY = "pt_PT.UTF-8@euro",
 	LC_TYPE = "pt_PT.UTF-8",
 	LANG = "en_US.ISO-8859-1"
are supported and installed
on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back
to the standard locale ("C")

Writing in vim gives all sorts of silly output.
What to do? Something to emerge? Some kernel config problem?
Why didn't /etc/env.d/02locale exist?
I compiled glibc without the userlocales USE variable, so all locales
should exist...

--
Jorge Almeida