From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] locale nightmare
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:21:42
1 After much labor, I managed to clean my system (i.e., revdep-rebuild -p
2 is happy). However, I started having locale problems (which I hadn't
3 formerly). It shows up with perl and vim.
4 I want the system to recognize Portuguese accented characters but
5 otherwise to use English as general language (meaning the language used
6 in error messages in bash, etc).
7 I didn't have the file /etc/env.d/02locale (can't imagine why).
8 $ cat /etc/env.d/02locale
9 LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
10 LC_TYPE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
11 LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.UTF-8@euro"
12 I followed (more or less)
13 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_UTF-8_enabled_system
14 (It says
15 LC_ALL=it_IT.UTF-8
16 LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8@euro
17 but isn't this wrong? man locale says LC_ALL overrides LC_*, if I
18 understood correctly.)
19 Well, perl is not happy:
20 $ perl -e ""
21 perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
22 perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
23 LANGUAGE = (unset),
24 LC_ALL = (unset),
25 LC_MONETARY = "pt_PT.UTF-8@euro",
26 LC_TYPE = "pt_PT.UTF-8",
27 LANG = "en_US.ISO-8859-1"
28 are supported and installed
29 on your system.
30 perl: warning: Falling back
31 to the standard locale ("C")
32
33 Writing in vim gives all sorts of silly output.
34 What to do? Something to emerge? Some kernel config problem?
35 Why didn't /etc/env.d/02locale exist?
36 I compiled glibc without the userlocales USE variable, so all locales
37 should exist...
40 Jorge Almeida
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list