From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating world
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:30:51
1 On 3/28/2011 6:20 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:11:55 -0400, Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
3 >
4 >> Apparently not everyone who uses kmail has the problem.
5 >> Maybe it's the people who use html mail?
6 >> Neil Bothwick's posts often have the "==20", but usually just one or
7 >> two. Some posts are positively riddled with them, to the point of
8 >> being terribly difficult to parse.
9 >> Everytime I look at the headers of such a post it says kmail, but
10 >> not every kmail user has the problem.
11 >
12 > That's intriguing, considering it's been many years since I used
13 > KMail.
14 >
15 > The =20 is usually caused by a quoted-printable message, meaning either
16 > your newsreader cannot handle quoted-printable or the mail-to-news
17 > gateway is screwing it up.
18
19 It's not KMail, it's your OpenPGP signature. Attaching the signature
20 switches your mail from text/plain to multipart/signed, and the mail
21 client switches to quoted-printable for the text part of the message.
22
23 However, there does seem to be some kind of problem with the
24 mail-to-news gateway. The quoted-printable "soft-return" sequence is
25 =20, but it's being turned into "==20" somewhere along the way. slrn
26 *does* support quoted-printable messages, if they were well-formed
27 quoted printable :)
28
29 For reference, this is what your mail looks like coming over SMTP; note
30 the lack of "==20" anywhere:
31
32 --Sig_/TRElrs3oa099GBUkPVLmB/I
33 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
34 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
35