From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] MBR + GPT + GRUB
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 18:47:42
1 On 2018.07.21 13:46, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > A slightly off-topic question arising from a different distro, which
5 > may
6 > replicate itself on Gentoo.
7 >
8 > I installed Mint-Linux, in a VM. The host PC MoBo has a legacy BIOS
9 > system.
10 > I used a GPT scheme to create partitions on the virtual disk. The
11 > first 1M on
12 > the virtual disk was left empty by gdisk. I thought GRUB can use
13 > this for its
14 > core image. Note, I did not create a partition in this 1MB empty
15 > space at the
16 > start of the disk.
17 >
18 > While running the Mint Installer I got a warning from its partition
19 > manager
20 > telling me I had not specified a BIOS_grub partition and the
21 > installation may
22 > fail. I ignored the warning and continued with the installation,
23 > which
24 > completed successfully.
25 >
26 > A few weeks later I ran an update which among other packages updated
27 > grub2-
28 > common. An ncurses menu popped up warning me:
29 >
30 > "The GRUB boot loaders was previously installed to a disk that is no
31 > longer
32 > present, or whose unique identifier has changed for some reason".
33 >
34 > It offered to install in /dev/vda, /dev/vda1, or /dev/vda2. I
35 > selected /dev/
36 > vda which represents the virtual disk. It failed to install in
37 > /dev/vda
38 > because the device did not contain a BIOS_grub partition.
39 >
40 > I tried 'grub-install --force' and --boot-directory options, but in
41 > all cases
42 > it failed to install. At the end I had to create a new 1M partition
43 > with
44 > gdisk and set its type to ef02 (BIOS boot partition), before grub
45 > would
46 > install its core image successfully.
49 > QUESTIONS:
50 >
51 > Why/how the initial installation succeeded without an ef02 partition,
52 > but a
53 > grub package update would not proceed without it? Where did the Mint
54 > installer store the grub core image to be able to continue with the
55 > installation?
56 >
57 Are you sure this wasn't fallout from the recent grub problems in the
58 Mint ISO? (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3620) I thought I got the
59 link to that on this list, but I can't find the relevant message, so
60 I'm not sure where I saw it. However, it seems like the issue was that
61 installing Mint messed up Grub and left the PC unbootable.
62
63 Jack