From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: System maintenance procedure?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:24:48
1 On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 04:30:33PM -0800, Grant wrote:
2 > And then attended like this:
3 >
4 > emerge -DuN world
5 > revdep-rebuild
6 > etc-update
7 > elogv
8 > emerge --depclean
9 > eclean distfiles
10 > eclean packages
11 >
12 > Am I missing any good stuff?
13
14 I've recently modified update[1] to use --changed-use by default, instead
15 of -N:
16
17 "Unlike --newuse, the --changed-use option does not trigger reinstallation
18 when flags that the user has not enabled are added or removed."
19
20 This is great: it does the same thing as skipUseless (a setting we've had
21 for a couple of years) but means we don't have to show the user what we're
22 skipping, since portage isn't trying to rebuild it in the first place.
23
24 Also, update does depclean before revdep-rebuild, in case the depclean
25 breaks anything. (It also picks up on preserved-rebuild, though I switched
26 back to stable portage a while ago.) Both after glsa-check of course, which
27 I don't see in your list. (Not that it's actually warned me about anything
28 in the last few years. ;)
29
30 After the whole thing, it'll run your configUpdater if needed. If not set,
31 it tries etc-proposals cfg-update dispatch-conf and etc-update in that order.
32 I use dispatch-conf nowadays, but used to love etc-proposals popping up
33 in X to tell me when it was done. replace-unmodified, replace-wscomments and
34 ignore-previously-merged are all really useful (not sure which of those
35 are default any more, but I definitely had to set a couple to yes when I
36 installed: pretty sure replace-cvs defaults to yes.)
37
38 With regards to syncing, update -s does the sync first, calling eix-sync
39 as well if it's installed. We recommend people let eix-sync also update
40 their overlays with: echo '*' >> /etc/eix-sync.conf
41 (I hope that's still correct) or if they're not using eix, to set postSync
42 to 'layman -S'.
43 The sync is nice, as it wraps it to only use one line in the console.
44
45 I'd be interested if there's stuff we should add. I've always been wary
46 of eclean, and in fact still have all the distfiles and binpkgs this machine
47 has ever downloaded or installed. Same on my laptop (though it shares
48 distfiles.) Disk space isn't really an issue any more. But if it's useful to
49 others, it should be added.
50
51 I really wanted something that keeps the last N versions of binpkgs
52 (sometimes things start to break, and you get a revbump that doesn't make
53 things better, and just having the last version isn't enough.) From the
54 manpage, --package-names --time-limit=6m might be a reasonable compromise.
55
56 Hmm think I'll look into adding some sort of hook, though I might not use
57 it personally: it can just take a set of parameters configured by the admin.
58
59 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html
62 #friendly-coders -- Where everybody knows your nick ;-)