From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --sync
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 06:59:06
1 On Monday, 1 August 2022 06:09:07 BST n952162 wrote:
2 > On 7/31/22 21:51, n952162 wrote:
3 > > I've been running gentoo for years now, and every time I go to --sync,
4 > > it's really a painful process.
5 > >
6 > > The process can take *very* before you find out if it succeeded or not.
7 > >
8 > > I try different repos.conf servers - one works for a while, then
9 > > doesn't, then later, the new one doesn't work anymore and the old one
10 > > works again.
11 > >
12 > > I've asked here about it multiple times and get the answers
13 > >
14 > > - "I don't have a problem"
15 > >
16 > > - "just change the server"
17 > >
18 > > - "keep trying"
19 > >
20 > > It can take several hours before it finally works
21 > >
22 > > It seems like a time-out problem. Or maybe a memory problem ... In any
23 > > case, it doesn't seem like it ought to be difficult to at least know
24 > > what the problem is.
25 > >
26 > > Or?
27 >
28 > Thanks all, for the various suggestions, I'll try each.
29
30 Two points to consider when choosing git to sync your portage tree:
31
32 1. It used to be the case the first time you run git it would try to download
33 GB of commits history and take ages to do so on a slow connection. The
34 solution used to be to add "EGIT_CLONE_TYPE=shallow" in your make.conf, but
35 I'm not sure if this is still needed (I don't use git).
36
37 2. These days rsync uses hashes and gpg to check the integrity of portage and
38 will flag up a warning in case of file tampering, or corrupt data. As far as I
39 know such a solution doesn't exist with git.