From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/init.d/local - one thing led to another
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:30:33
1 On 8/30/05, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Good evening all,
4 >
5 > I figured it was about time to start the Guarddog firewall script
6 > automatically, instead of always typing /etc/rc.firewall. The obvious
7 > thing to do was add it to /etc/conf.d/local.start. Easy enough. But it
8 > didn't start. OK, let's put a few logger commands in there and see where
9 > it fails. Nothing logged. Nada. Zilch. Tried the same thing in the
10 > /etc/init.d/local script. Once again, nothing logged. Here's the
11 > beginning of the local script
12 >
13 > depend() {
14 > after *
15 > }
16 >
17 > start() {
18 > ebegin "Starting local"
19 >
20 > # Add any misc programs that should be started
21 > # to /etc/conf.d/local.start
22 > logger -p auth.info <http://auth.info> "This is right before local.startis sourced"
23 > if [[ -e /etc/conf.d/local.start ]] ; then
24 > source /etc/conf.d/local.start
25 > fi
26 > eend $? "Failed to start local"
27 > }
28 >
29 > The initial "Starting local" is displayed as the system boots, but
30 > that's all that happens. If I do a /etc/init.d/local restart, all is
31 > well, and all is logged.
32 >
33 > Am I once again missing the obvious?
34 >
35 > Thanks,
36 > John
37 > --
38 > Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.
42 You should use rc-update to run the startup script. Local is for commands
43 that you want run, not really a great way to run other startup scripts. The
44 command you want is probably `rc-update add rc.firewall default`.
45 -Mike
49 Michael E. Crute
50 Software Developer
51 SoftGroup Development Corporation
52
53 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
54 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"