From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:00:06
1 On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> >> I'll be getting my feet wet with this shortly.  Any other tips
3 >>> >> regarding the management of one or more programmers working on
4 >>> >> various small web projects?  Maybe workflow or any key procedures
5 >>> >> a newbie manager should follow?
6 >>> >
7 >>> > You can get away with almost anything except these two things:
8 >>> >
9 >>> > Do not micro-manage
10 >>> > Do not tell them how to do what they do
11 >>>
12 >>> Could you give me an example of this last one?
13 >>
14 >> - I see you are using Perl with hashrefs to do function xyz. Have you
15 >> considered (i.e. I would like you to) using $INSERT_SOMETHING_HERE?
16 >>
17 >> - Fiddling with the roadmap. Somehow, this always ends up like the
18 >> homeowner overriding the architect and trying to get the roof up
19 >> before the walls.
20 >>
21 >> - Giving "advice" on the process such as saying how awesome a concept
22 >> stakeholders and product owners are in Scrum. But they use
23 >> ExtremeProgramming.
24 >>
25 >> - Wanting to personally review the code often. I've seen some managers
26 >>  want to do this daily.
27 >>
28 >> - Get personally involved on their level.
31 >> All these things class as interference. Managers and owners who do this
32 >> have miles of justifiable reasons for doing so, but it's always hogwash
33 >> - they interfere, plain and simple.
34 >
35 > This is really interesting to me.  Is there a forum/website/book with
36 > more gritty, practical advice like this on managing programmers?
37 > These are the kinds of mistakes I will definitely make if someone
38 > doesn't tell me not to.
39 >
40 > Could you tell me really briefly what a manager *should* do?
41 >
42 > I think I'll try to manage a single programmer working few hours and
43 > see how it goes.  My asking stupid questions is due to my lack of
44 > experience and there's only one way to fix that.
45
46 I'd probably suggest reading The Mythical Man-Month.
47
48 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
52 :wq