From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need for revdep-rebuild
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 06:58:42
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 02:06, Florian Philipp<lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Am 25.07.2011 20:56, schrieb Dale:
5 >>
6 >>> David W Noon wrote:
7 >>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:27:03 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about
8 >>> "[gentoo-user] Need for revdep-rebuild":
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>>>> After upgrading icu today I found that system-config-printer-common
13 >>>>>> wouldn't compile because it couldn't find the right icu library.
14 >>>>>>
15 >>>>>> Revdep-rebuild was required to fix this - so it does still have a use,
16 >>>>>> after all.
17 >>>>>>
18 >>>>>>
19 >> [...]
20 >>
21 >>> I just had to run preserved-libs and all is well. I run the unstable
22 >>> portage tho. Maybe that makes a difference.
23 >>>
24 >> [...]
25 >>
26 >> Yes, it does. I seriously can't wait until portage-2.2 is stabilized.
27 >>
28 >> BTW: I couldn't find a tracker bug for its stabilization. Is it possible
29 >> that it doesn't exist?
32 > Wouldn't it be better to do both `emerge @preserved-libs` and `revdep-rebuild`?
33 >
34 > I think I read somewhere that `emerge @preserved-libs` and
35 > `revdep-rebuild` actually do different things, but with significant
36 > overlap...
37 >
38 > Can't remember where I read that, though...
39 >
40 > Rgds,
41 > --
42 > Pandu E Poluan
43 > ~ IT Optimizer ~
44 >
45 > • Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
46 > • Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan
50 If it needs you to run preserved-libs it will tell you. Most of the
51 time it will for revdep-rebuild but not always. It just depends on
52 whether or not the dev told it to tell us I guess.
53
54 I have no idea what they are waiting on to stabilize portage 2.2. It
55 gets talked about on -dev sometimes but they always leave it unstable.
56 I guess they are waiting on the sun to come up in the west or
57 something. lol
58
59 Dale
60