From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Semi OT: hotplug / coldplug / udev ...
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:06:44
1 On 11/9/06, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > this is a general question about GNU/Linux.
6 >
7 > I have some doubts about the way hotplug / coldplug / udev work.
8 >
9 > I mean, some distros do not use hotplug (I'm not sure if it's basic
10 > in gentoo) and are able to plug a (i.e) pendrive and kernel detects it,
11 > udev creates its device, someone mounts it, etc...
12 >
13 > An my question is that. What really happen when you plug a (again,
14 > i.e.) pendrive in your computer? Which programs take care in that
15 > process? What about kernel?
16 >
17 > Sorry if you fell spammed, but I do not find a good guide for
18 > dummies :-)
21 > Cheers!
22 > --
23 > Arnau Bria
24 > http://blog.emergetux.net
25 > Wiggum: Dispara a las ruedas Lou.
26 > Lou: eee, es un tanque jefe.
27 > Wiggum: Me tienes hartito con todas tus excusas.
28 > --
29 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
32 Ivman is what you want to get the 'automounting' accomplished
33
34 # esearch ivman
35 [ Results for search key : ivman ]
36 [ Applications found : 1 ]
37
38 * sys-apps/ivman
39 Latest version available: 0.6.12
40 Latest version installed: 0.6.12
41 Size of downloaded files: 914 kB
42 Homepage: http://ivman.sf.net
44 License: GPL-2 QPL
45
46 It works for automounting cds, dvds, and should work for pendrives (although
47 I have yet to get it automounting a pendrive under a user account)
50 - Mark Shields