From: Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New laptop is slow.
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 23:28:46
1 G'day,
2
3 Grant wrote:
4 > I just finished installing Gentoo on a Dell Vostro 1320 laptop. It
5 > has a 2.2Ghz Core Duo CPU, 3GB RAM, and a 7200RPM hard drive.
6 > Navigating within firefox is pretty slow. It's the response time of
7 > the application, not the network. It's much slower than my previous
8 > laptop which has much weaker specs.
9 >
10 > I noticed the HD light comes on when the system is pausing in firefox
11 > sometimes. I don't have any swap at all, I'm using the CFQ, and /tmp
12 > is mounted on tmpfs. Can anyone suggest where to look?
13 >
14 > - Grant
17 Slightly related, but you might want to check and make sure your HD isn't grinding itself to a quick
18 death as is always the case when I'm setting up a laptop:
19
20 http://en.opensuse.org/Disk_Power_Management
23 Beau Henderson