From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] rc script opacity
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:13:05
1 The script /etc/conf.d/rc contains the following lines :
2
3 # RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE allows you to have different /etc/conf.d files
4 # based on your runlevel - if a conf.d file for your profile does not exist
5 # then we try and use the default one.
6 # To enable runlevel selection at boot, append "softlevel=foobar" to your
7 # kernel line to change to the foobar runlevel. Or "rc foobar" at the command
8 # prompt.
9
10 RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE="yes"
11
12 Can anyone explain what this means ?
13
14 Eg how do you define different conf.d files ?
15 Why does it suddenly talk about enabling runlevel selection at boot ?
16 What does it mean by "kernel line" ? What is the "command prompt" here ?
17
18 The kernel doc for parameters has nothing about "softlevel".
19
20 Have I had too long a day or is this something which needs updating ?
24 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
25 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
26 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list