From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One machine sends "emerge" text output to stderr, not stdout
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 01:20:51
1 > do so today (115 packages emerge). I normally...
2 >
3 > emerge -pv --deep --update world | less
4 >
5 > ...before updating, to check for booby-traps. Today, the output on the
6 > backup machine blasted to screen, and did not stop until finished.
7 > Meanwhile, the bottom of the screen shows "lines 1-4/4 (END) ".
8 > Actually, it's 151 lines of output. Similarly...
9 >
10 > emerge -pv --deep --update world > x
11 >
12 > ...shows only 4 lines in file x, while the output blasted to the screen.
13 >
14 > emerge -pv --deep --update world > x 2>&1
15 >
16 > ...does work, sending everything to file x. That's how I know there are
17 > 151 lines of output in file x and output is going to stderr. This
18 > happens on only the backup machine, not the main machine. It's not a
19 > showstopper, and I can work around it. Having said that, I'd like to do
20 > a proper fix.
23 My first guess would be different versions of emerge sending output to
24 different places. Are the portage versions the same?