From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Back up a server in real-time
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:56:24
1 On Monday 17 November 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > dirvish is in portage.
4 > >
5 > > tar/rsync/cp are not really backups but manual copies. If you want true
6 > > backup you need scripts to handle the extra functionality for things
7 > > like versioning, archive management and the all important restore.
8 >
9 > star has everything you need for backups and it is based on the standard
10 > archive format.
11
12 Thanks Joerg, I have just had a quick look at star. Would you know if there
13 is a LiveCD that has star - or will I be able to restore a fs from an archive
14 created with star, but using tar to do it as it comes in e.g. Knoppix?
15 --
16 Regards,
17 Mick