From: James Homuth <james@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: How to know when a package is due to go stable?
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:23:19
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Nikos Chantziaras
3 Sent: October 31, 2008 10:38 AM
4 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to know when a package is due to go stable?
6
7 Justin wrote:
8 > James Homuth schrieb:
9 >> There are several packages that were thrown around on the list, or
10 >> versions of packages, that I've come across that I figure I might
11 >> want to take an active interest in. However, to avoid sending my
12 >> boxes into a tailspin, I'm staying away from installing the still in
13 >> development versions. What I'd like to know though is if there's some
14 >> means of knowing if/when, as an example, a newer version of Portage
15 >> is supposed to be considered stable. If not then I can always keep an
16 >> eye on the relevant RSS feeds, but it was mostly just curiosity on my
17 part. Thanks either way.
18 >>
19 >> James
23 > Quite easy,
24 >
25 > emerge --sync
26 > emerge -up world system,
27 >
28 > then you know whats gone stable with higher versions.
29
30 Or, to also cover packages not in world/system, you can do:
31
32 emerge -p1u `qlist -IC`
33
34 (Don't omit the "1" from the options or you'll mess up your world file with
35 packages that are purely dependencies.)
36
37 I wonder why emerge doesn't do something like this by default, actually.
38 Say a package has a serious exploit and an update was made. If the
39 package isn't in world, emerge will never grab the update.
42 That'll teach me to just read the Gentoo documentation. I figured emerge
43 --update --deep world covered system, too.