From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pf-sources Kernel
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 12:13:47
1 James writes:
2
3 > Anyone running pf-sources?
4 >
5 > AMD64?
6
7 Yes! Since two hours after I read your posting, never heard before of pf-
8 sources or BFS before.
9 And they run great! My system was somewhat unresponsive, especially when
10 things like emerges were going on, video playback was stuttering, sometimes
11 Amarok did this, too. Now, it's no problem any more. Well, activating Strigi
12 desktop indexing and Nepomuk still slows things down, though.
13
14 > Your insights and experiences are most welcome,
15 > including your opinion of BFS...
16
17 It rocks!
18 But then, I have been running ck-sources before. And they also have the BFS
19 patch. And it has been set in my .config. So, I should already have seen the
20 benefits all the time.
21
22 Maybe this is all wishful thinking only? The system already performs much,
23 much better since I added another 2G of RAM one week ago. Now I have 8G, and
24 do not notice that much swapping any more. Although... right now, swap is
25 at 600M, and the system is swapping right now. Weird. I'm running rdiff-
26 backup, this seems to increase swap size. Maybe too much of the stuff it
27 precesses is being cached? Swap is at 800M now.
28
29 Wonko