From: Dragostin Yanev <gentoo+user@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Brand new instalation - Network problem
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 21:10:31
1 On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:44:00 +0000
2 João Matos <jaoneto@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi list,
5 >
6 > I`ve just installed a brand new gentoo amd64 and there is this
7 > problem: my "Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
8 > RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)" is
9 > recognized as *sit0* , but I can't get any IP Adress.
10 >
11 > dhcp takes long and doesn't get any result. dhcpcd doesn't work
12 > either. Even if I choose a manual address I cant ping other devices.
13 >
14 > When I used ifconfig, I got something like "ipv6 over ipv4", but I
15 > will only need ipv4. So I disabled ipv6 USE flag, but I didn't change
16 > anything. The weird thing is that if I disable the IPV6 kernel
17 > support (manual configuration btw), the network interface (sit0)
18 > desappears!
19 >
20 > When I reboot the system using a usb botable Ubuntu everything works
21 > fine, using the same hardware/infrastructure.
22 >
23 > I have no idea what is going on here, so, please, send me some links.
24 >
25 > Thank you all,
28 Hi João,
29
30 Let's do some basic troubleshooting.
31
32 look at the output of the following commands
33 # lspci
34 # dmesg | grep -b2 -a2 -i ethernet
35 # lsmod
36
37 This will hopefully help us determine if the correct driver is loaded.