From: "Gerrit Kühn" <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.2 conflicts with gcc-6.4
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 07:02:07
1 Hello,
2
3 I still have some systems around that need to run a vanilla kernel 3.2.
4 This works without any issues as long as I am using gcc-4.9.4 or gcc-5.4 to
5 compile the kernel. Using gcc-6.4 for compilation was not possible
6 out-of-the-box as it is defaulting to --enable-default-pie.
7 After reading https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=841420 I
8 was able to get around this by adding -fno-pie to the build. However, when
9 trying to run this kernel, it does not output anything and just reboots my
10 system. Compiling the same source and setup (even including my additional
11 -fno-pie settings) with gcc-5.4 or gcc-4.9.4 results in a kernel that is
12 running fine, just with gcc-6.4 it appears to be broken.
13
14 Is there anyone around who successfully managed to get this to work (or
15 who has any other hints how to fix this)?
16 Now that Gentoo has deprecated 2013's profile, using gcc4 or gcc5 is not
17 really supported for anything, and I'd like to avoid having to compile
18 different parts of the system with different compilers.
21 cu
22 Gerrit